With winter arriving soon, now is a great time to prepare your home for freezing temperatures. Use the checklist below to give you ideas for keeping warm, preventing fires, and saving money.
- Have your furnace inspected and serviced by a professional at least once a year.
- Have chimneys and vents cleaned and inspected. (Built up creosote is the leading cause of chimney fires!)
- Stock up on dry, seasoned wood for the fireplace or wood stove.
- Check the condition of your fireplace screen. Is it in good condition and secure?
- Get a covered metal container ready to dispose of cooled ashes. (And keep it at least 10 feet from your home.)
- Review fireplace safety with your kids!
- Make sure all portable space heaters have an automatic shut-off and are kept at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn (like bedding).
- Test all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms!
Follow these tips and your home will be ready for winter and safe from fire hazards. If you’re concerned about protecting your belongings, give us a call to review your home insurance policy today!